The products we use in the body, the food we consume, the water we drink, and the air we breathe are all full of toxins. Our bodies absorb all of these toxins, and if they are not removed, they negatively affect our performance as athletes. The good news is that a detox bath can help us detoxify our bodies gently and easily.
This article will give you an overview of what detox baths are, their benefits, whether or not they are really effective, as well as a step-by-step guide on how to take them and even a few recipes to help you get started on your journey to detoxify your body.
Let's get started.
What Are Detox Baths?
A detox bath is one of the most effective methods for naturally getting rid of toxins in the body. When you add ingredients like Epsom Salts and essential oils to your tub, you're introducing minerals and nutrients to the water.
As a result, they are absorbed by your body and help to eliminate toxins. It is a very efficient and affordable way of supporting the body's own detoxification system.
Additionally, this helps with muscle tension, cramps, and blood circulation while absorbing beneficial minerals like magnesium, which help calm the nervous system and boost mood.
Do Detox Baths Really Work?
Unfortunately, few studies have been published on baths and detox baths. The following are some proven positive effects:
- It has been proven that warm water reduces pain even when nothing else is added to it, which is why warm water therapies exist.
- Research has shown that sweating does remove heavy metals and chemicals from the body.
- A study found that when salt solutions are applied externally, inflammation is reduced (inflammation increases both risk for disease and level of pain).
Salt baths contain magnesium, which is why some people believe they are dangerous, but Epsom Salt baths have very low risks of side effects.
It is important to notice that consuming it is quite different from pouring some in the bath. Nevertheless, if you feel dizzy or shivering, you should exit the bathtub immediately. Be sure to drink plenty of water before, during, and after a detox bath.
Although several promising studies have been conducted, none of them prove that warm baths detoxify you. Therefore, they can be an excellent addition to treatment, but not a substitute. It is true that in order to live a healthy life, relaxing, resting, and reducing stress are essential to your wellness, and warm baths can offer these benefits.
What Are The Benefits Of Detox Baths?
The benefits of detox baths extend far beyond relaxation. By taking a detox bath, you can relieve pain, reduce stress, open your pores, and get rid of congestion.
- The Epsom Salts used in a detox bath, made from magnesium sulfate, have many health benefits including helping to reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and improve circulation. They can also be used to deal with lingering tightness or injuries.
- By replenishing magnesium levels in the body, detox baths can reduce stress and contribute to a better night’s sleep. This results in a better mood and an increase in productivity during workouts as we get well rested.
- Adding lavender or chamomile essential oils to your detox bath will calm your nervous system and boost your mood, lowering overall stress.
- By removing toxins from the body, detox baths aid in muscle tension, cramps, and blood circulation. Furthermore, detox baths can help regulate electrolytes, which are necessary for muscle health.
- As a result of soaking in warm water, pores are opened and inflammation, redness, and irritation are reduced. Due to magnesium's natural moisturizing properties, Epsom Salts can help soften dry skin and exfoliate dead skin cells.
- As the steam decongests the body, while the magnesium and essential oils replenish the body with immune-boosting nutrients, a detox bath is one of the most effective natural remedies for colds and flus.
How To Take A Detox Bath
- Before beginning the detox soak, you should fill a bathtub with warm water. Make sure you use the hottest water you can stand, as a result, you will sweat more and thereby get a better detox.
- Next, enter the tub and immerse your whole body under the water. There is no rush here, so take a long soak of at least 20 minutes.
- Once you've finished soaking, get out of the tub gently. In case you feel dizzy, rinse off with cool water and wait a few minutes, but it shouldn't last too long.
- Lastly, keep hydrated, as sweating out toxins will cause your body to lose water.
- Ideally, do the detox before heading to bed. You'll get the most out of your sleep, and your body will be rejuvenated for the following day's workout.
Detox Bath Recipes
When detox bathing, you should only use natural products and use quality ingredients since some ingredients aren't as pure as others.
Here are a few easy recipes you can try.
The magnesium and sulfur in Epsom Salt baths relax muscles and joints, reduce inflammation in sore muscles, stimulate detoxification and promote healthy circulation.
Using Epsom Salt Baths as part of your recovery routine is a smart idea for athletes, since they increase the body's ability to grow new muscle tissue.
The process is as simple as pouring two cups of Epsom salts into a bathtub filled with warm water. Then soak for a minimum of 20 minutes, rinse well, and then dry thoroughly.
The magnetic properties of bentonite clay help to remove toxins, heavy metals and waste from the body. The PH level in the body is also lowered by bentonite clay.
Besides removing toxins from the body, it reduces inflammation, increases hydration, and makes the skin feel smooth.
Mix one cup of clay in a small amount of water until the clumps are mostly dissolved. Make sure you use a plastic container, then add the clay mix to the bath and soak for at least 20 minutes.
Ginger baths help you get rid of toxins and ease muscle pain by increasing your body temperature and encouraging sweating.
This bath may cause you to feel dehydrated, so you should drink plenty of water to rehydrate yourself.
Combine 1/3 cup Epsom salt, 1/3 cup sea salt, and 3 tablespoons of ground ginger and add the mixture to a warm bath. Soak for at least 20 minutes and dry off as soon as you get out.
After soaking for at least 20 minutes, you will benefit from a reduction in inflammation, muscle soreness, and congestion. This will give you the stimulus you need to keep performing at your absolute highest level.
Add five drops of eucalyptus oil to the warm water of your tub along with half a cup of sea salts, half a cup of Epsom Salts. Soak in for about 20 minutes and then rinse well.
Since apple cider vinegar balances the skin's pH, it is used to treat many skin problems. In addition to detoxifying the body, this bath can also relieve muscle aches and bad body odors.
Pour warm water into a tub and add two cups of raw apple cider vinegar. It is recommended to soak for at least 20 minutes, then rinse off in a cool shower.
A detox bath can help detoxify your body in an easy and gentle manner, and can improve your performance as an athlete. It is a very effective method for naturally getting rid of toxins in the body. This is because it allows the body to absorb minerals and nutrients while also helping to eliminate harmful toxins.
Salt solutions are proven to reduce inflammation when applied externally, thereby reducing the risk of disease and pain. Warm baths can help you relax, relieve stress, open your pores, and get rid of congestion.
It is possible to use different recipes depending on your needs; all of them are easy to prepare and will provide you with a variety of benefits that will help you continuously perform at your peak.